CEO Divamoms, Lyss Stern, With Some Winter Tips
By Lyss Stern
Posted January 7, 2018
Lyss Stern, CEO Divamoms.com, best-selling Author and mom of three children is a big advocate for children's health. She also talks about the importance of moving and keeping active especially during winter months. As parents, it’s important to make sure the children in our lives are active as much as possible during the cold winter months. During these winter months we need to get creative and to make sure that our kids get the exercise and physical activity that is so important. What to do when the weather outside is frigid and prevents the kids from enjoying those outdoor activities? Sign up for a Kids In Sports class! Here are a few other ideas on how to keep your kids active indoors during the harsh winter months:
- See if your town or city has an indoor play space where the kids can run around and or take sports lessons. My oldest son plays baseball all year round even living in NYC because he trains indoors at the batting facility. One of my favorite indoor sports facilities in NYC and Westchester is Kids In Sports because it gives children the opportunity to learn multi-sports in a fun and structured environment with expert instruction. Check out their full schedule of Winter/Spring Classes here. Some of their other best programs for the colder months are their MLK Camp, President’s Day Camp, and Spring Break Camp.
- There are some interactive video games to keep the kids moving! Kids can virtually play games like basketball, tennis or baseball. Another favorite is Just Dance and your kids will get quite the workout keeping up with the dance moves on the screen. Kids will surely get the physical activity they need, never have to leave the house and have fun doing while playing and dancing. Although I don't encourage hours of video games, these can be fun and limited during winter.
- Indoor playgrounds can be great for younger children. Many indoor malls now offer play areas that feature obstacle courses and plenty of opportunity to run around and climb. Other options are to visit indoor facilities that offer trampolines, so the kids can jump and play and other interactive games and activities.
- Go ice skating (or roller skating) – it’s a lot of fun and the kids can get a great workout.
- Take the kids skiing for the weekend, such a great family sport and amazing, healthy workout for all.
- Bowling is always a fun winter option. A great game of bowling can keep the entire family moving.
- Indoor swimming is also a great option. See if you can find a local gym with an indoor pool. Swimming laps is awesome exercise during the cold winter months.
- Create an indoor scavenger hunt for the family.
- See about mini indoor golf for the family. Kids always love playing indoor golf.
- Most important... just keep the kids active and of course have some #deLysscious hot chocolate!
Visit kidsinsports.com to find classes near you.